November 06, 2005

The Tale of No Tail

This is the'before' picture. I'm a strapping young kitten of less than a year old, with a beautiful long tail.

Mum always used to get cranky with me when I went outside. Said I was going to get myself in trouble. Said I didn't know what a big bad world it was out there. But I wanted excitement. I wanted adventure. I wanted to explore.

I got more than I bargained for. And the first of my nine lives was gone.

I can't really explain what happened. I guess I didn't see it coming. But I freak out now whenever I hear the sound of a big mean old nasty garbage truck approaching. Mum found me hours later. Hiding under the house next door. She didn't think it was me because I was a pale fascimile of my usual self. I was shaking, I was numb, I was in shock. I couldn't move my tail and I my paw hurt as well. I didn't even answer her when she talked to me.

She took me down to the elephant hospital. Well there weren't really any elephants there but that's what they had on the sign. And I had to stay there for days. They kept saying not today, you can't go home today. I'd cry when mum came in to visit me but they wouldn't let her take me home. And then they said that my beautiful tail had to come off. Because I couldn't move it, they said it would be too dangerous for me to keep it - I could get it stuck somewhere and injure myself more.

When I got back from hospital, Mum's flatmate started calling me stumpy bum. Bloody rude!

I kept looking for my tail, going to clean it as I was used to, but it was gone. It took a while to adapt to not having a tail. But now, I hardly even remember having one.

Some people think I'm a manx when they first meet me, but I'm more special than that. Because I lived to tell the tail!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first cat used to eat from the table from a chair too but it was a high chair and she'ld put one paw on the table I leave the other properly on the chair...it was too cute.

Casper said...

poor kitty. losing your tail like that. how traumatic!

Anonymous said...

Hi, My Mom was on the computer, but she left the room and I was able to read your story.

Those nasty big loud things scare me too. I try to keep away from them when my mom used to let me out. (They smell bad too) I have a friend outside who has only 3 legs, he has his tail though. I dont think I would want to lose my tail. My mom says that I cant be a tux kitty with no tail(s). Mom says that I cant go out anymore, I really hate that and try to sneak out when I can. I hope that you adjust to having no tail, you are quite good looking without it.

~ Socks

Anonymous said...

Hello Socks,

Ooh, I think I got my first love letter. I detect a bit of feline flirtation there. Maybe if you can get outside and I can get outside we can hook up at the local kitty cafe. But if you're overseas, I'll just have to be satisfied with love notes from afar.

I spent a couple of hours in a plane once just to go interstate. There's no way I'm hopping in one of those things to go overseas. I'll have to tell that story another time.

Marley Gibson said...

Poor Dorkus! I'm sorry to read if your troubles, but I think you look simply fabulous with or without a tail. You wear it well.

Hugs!
= )

Anonymous said...

poor baby kitten! i am so glad you survived to tell the story. my kitty sydney and i, lisa, salute you.

Barry Wallace said...

When our second cat, L.B., found us he was only a couple months old and had been wandering the construction site of the new house next door for several days before Halloween. He was black and white, so fearing he might get taken by ne'er do-wells, we fed him and took him in. Ever since we found him, he's had just a little stump of a tail - in fact, it was still bleeding slightly from the healing wound at the time.

So now for the last 13 years he's walked around with his little 2-inch-long stump sticking straight up and twitching... and that's how he got his name - L.B., or "Little Bit"

Anonymous said...

Your kitty is so goddamn cute.

Gazard7 said...

This kitty still cute eventhough without a tail!

Anonymous said...

Since this site is all about cuteness and humor, how about we leave out the harsh language as demonstrated above? I'd love to show this site to my kids.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »